During the Second World War recycling was at a high in Britain. Though at the time it was not for environmental reasons – far from it. During the war Britain feared a Nazi blockade would leave the country with a paper shortage, so the wartime Government made recycling paper compulsory in 1940 as part of its National Salvage Campaign.
Three days after the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union in 1941, the Ministry of Supply sent a memo to every council in the country demanding an “intensification of salvage work and fullest co-operation of councils and the public”.
“You can Give It – We Can Take It”
Bromley Town Council are taking their full share in the London REgion Salvage Drive for Victory which started on Saturday and will be continued for a fortnight till Saturday, September 27th. with the blessing of the Mayor (Councillor H. Lynch-Watson, J.P.), and the co-operation of representatives of the Navy Army and R.A.F., together with the Home Guard, Civil Defence Units and Women’s Voluntary Services, the drive had an enthusiastic send-off.
The photograph shows Colonel F.W. Chamberlain, Zone Commander of the Home Guard, taking the salute at the Municipal Buildings. With his are the Mayor (Councillor H.Lynch Watson) and Sir Edward Campbell, M.P.
Bromley & District Times, 19th September 1941 (page 5)