A member of an old Bromley family was married at St John’s, Eden Park, on Saturday, when the bridegroom was Mr Sidney Bax (now Gunner, R.A.), eldest son of Mr and Mrs S. Bax, of The Cottage, 11 Upper Park Road, Bromley, and the bride , Miss Gwendoline Prior, second eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs W. Prior, of 338 Upper Elmers End Road, Beckenham. The Rev. W. J. Berry, M.A., officiated, and appropriate music was played before and after the ceremony, the hymn, “O Perfect Love,” being sung during the service.
The bride, who was given away by her father, wore white chiffon velvet with a long veil held in place with pearl headdress. She carried a bouquet of pink and white carnations and white heather and wore the bridegroom’s gift of a gold cross and chain. Her sister Doreen was her only bridesmaid, and she wore cream net trimmed with turquoise and carried a Victorian posy of pink and blue flowers. She wore also a silver cross and chain given to her by the bride and bridegroom. The bridegroom’s mother wore a two-piece in ice-blue, with navy accessories and a fox fur, and the bride’s mother was attired in a black edge-to-edge coat, a floral dress and black accessories.
Mr Dick Smith was best man.
On leaving the church the bride was presented with a silver horse show by her nephew.
There was about 50 guests at the reception at the bride’s home. When the bride and bridegroom went away, the bride wore for travelling a dusky pink two-piece with navy accessories.
Bromley & District Times, 12th September 1941 (page 6)